This freezing weather is making me feel the need to hibernate with bowl fulls of warm, comforting food and lots of it.
Last weekend I cooked up my mom’s Chicken Casserole recipe. It’s cheap, delicious, easy to make and proper winter warmer food. Why not try it for yourself?
1 chicken breast per person (skin on is tastier, but skin off will work equally as well)
2 cans of cream of chicken soup
1.Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (gas mark 5)
2. Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of an ovenproof stew pot/casserole dish and cover with a sprinkling of paprika
3. Peel the potatoes and carrots and cut into slices of around 1cm in thickness and add to the pot
3. Slice the mushrooms and add to the pot
4. Pour over the two cans of soup
5. sprinkle with mixed herbs and paprika
6. Cover and cook in the oven for 1 1/2 hours, or until the chicken and vegetables are cooked through
I’ve purposefully not specified quantities for certain items for this recipe as it really does depend on how hungry you are. A good gauge to see if you’ve got the quantities right is that the chicken and veg should have a smattering of soup on them, but shouldn’t be swimming in it. To be honest I’ve made it with many different quantities and it always turns out yummy!
Best served with hunks of hearty white bread to soak up the delish sauce.
Do you have any recipes which have been handed down through your family?