I realise this makes it look as though the oven is smoking a spliff. My chalkboard illustration is supposed to show it with a thermometer in it’s mouth. My art skills aren’t the best!
A few weeks back our oven treated us to the kind of fireworks display that wouldn’t have looked out-of-place on Bonfire Night. As it popped, sizzled and sparked – I did what any married woman would do – switched it off at the plug and ran to get Hubby. He switched it back on again, tried changing the fuse, but alas our poor little oven now refused to heat up and so our planned dinner of chips and chicken kievs went back into the freezer. We had to wait a couple of weeks for the repair man to come to fix it. When he turned up he replaced the element and we were back to cooking on, er, electricity in minutes. I even purchased Pain au Chocolat for breakfast the following day to celebrate. Being without an oven for a couple of weeks doesn’t sound like that much of a hardship I know, and I accept that there are people in the world who are much worse off than we were, but it does make you realise how much you rely on your little oven.
Should you ever find yourself oven-less…
1. First up call the repair man ASAP, being oven-less soon loses its novelty factor after a few days.
2. Remember that you are oven-less when you go shopping. The amount of times Hubby and I picked things up that needed oven cooking was ridiculous.
3. Cancel any plans for people coming over for dinner, unless you’re very good at ‘winging it’, or you’re planning on getting take-away.
4. In fact, try to get invites to other people’s houses, or use your oven malfunction as an opportunity to go out for dinner.
5. Likewise, use it as an excuse to treat yourself to take out.
6. When you are cooking remember the hob and the microwave are your friends, here are some of the dishes you should be able to cook-up without the need for an oven…
- Pasta and sauce with mozzarella (don’t buy any oven cook garlic bread though)
- Baked potatoes done in the microwave
- Stir fry
- Microwaveable ready-meals
- Sausages with mashed potatoes and vegetables
Have you ever found yourself oven-less? How did you cope?